Visa Gift Card
Buy a Visa Gift Card for $10, $100, $500, $1000, or any amount in between.
No fee on Visa Gift Cards until January, 2022
(regular fee: $3.95 per card)
Two ways to order Star One Visa Gift Cards:
- In Online Banking (in the "Forms" menu)—a Star One representative will contact you after receipt of your order to arrange a pick-up time at your chosen Star One branch. Please allow two business days for fulfillment. Note, pre-order is required for five or more cards.
- In person—orders for fewer than five gift cards can be processed while you wait at any Star One branch. Please note that in November and December, no cards will be issued on Saturdays.
Visa Gift Cards
- Use wherever Visa Debit Cards are accepted (USA and territories only): retail stores, online merchants, and orders by mail and telephone.
- Visa Gift Cards cannot be reloaded, so spending is limited to the initial value purchased.
Visa Gift Card usage
- Choose "credit" at check-out to pay using a Visa Gift Card.
- No ATM access or withdrawals.
- No cash advances or cash back on purchases.
- Hotels, restaurants, and car rental companies may add 20% to the transaction amount in the authorization process.
Contact customer service at (866) 496-6183 for inquiries.
|Expiration Date||Minimum 5 years|
|Load Limits||$10 - $1,000|
|Purchase Fee||$0 (starting January 1, 2022: $3.95 each)|
|Lost/Stolen Replacement Card Fee||$8.00|
|Monthly Inactivity Fee if Unused for 12 Months||$4.95*|
Your card may be used anywhere debit cards are accepted (USA and its territories only). The brand marks on your card indicate where the card is accepted and typically will be displayed on the merchant's store front. Your card can also be used for online and telephone purchases.
At point-of-sale, use your Visa Gift Card as a signature-based transaction. Please select the "credit" option. If you select "debit," the terminal will prompt you for a PIN which is not available with the gift card.
Visa Gift Cards are disposable one-time-use cards. Additional funds cannot be added to the card.
A couple different scenarios may have caused your transaction to be declined.
- The merchant selected 'debit' instead of 'credit' to run the transaction.
- The merchant selected 'gift' instead of 'credit' to run the transaction.
- The merchant attempted to process the purchase for a greater amount than what is available on the card. If this happens, you should ask the merchant to run a "split-tender" transaction which will allow you to pay a portion of your purchase with your card and the remaining balance with another form of payment.
If you wish to use your Visa Gift Card to purchase an item for more than the available funds, depending on the Merchant's policy, you may be able to use your Gift Card toward a portion of the final purchase price, and then use another form of payment to pay the remaining balance. This is called a "split tender" transaction because you would be splitting the final transaction amount between your Visa Gift Card and another form of payment. Before you request a "split tender" transaction, you will need to know your card value. Then, you must ask the Merchant if two forms of payment will be accepted. If the Merchant agrees, request that the Visa Gift Card value be used as the first form of payment, and then use another form of funds to pay the remaining balance. Some retailers will only allow a "split tender" transaction if the second form of payment is cash or check. Online and most mail order merchants do not permit "split tender" transactions. We do not guarantee that the Merchant will accept two forms of payment, such as two gift cards.
Since this is a prepaid card, you may only use the amount of funds you have available on your card. If you create a negative balance on your card, you are responsible for the negative balance. You may also be charged a fee for the overdraft. Some merchants can run a split-tender transaction which will allow you to pay a portion of your purchase with your card and the remaining balance with another form of payment.
Yes, you may use your Visa Gift Card at a restaurant the same as you do at any other merchant. However, it is common for service-oriented merchants to automatically factor in an additional percentage (often times, up to 20% over the purchase price) to cover any tip you may leave on the card. You should ensure that your Visa Gift Card has an available balance that is 20% greater than your total bill.
Like restaurants and other service-oriented merchants, companies associated with travel services may automatically factor in an additional percentage to cover incidental charges that you might incur. Each entity varies in the amount they are able to over-authorize. To prevent a decline, we advise you to check with the company to determine their policy for over-authorizing.
Your card can be used at automatic fuel dispensers. However, an authorization of $75 for Visa and MasterCard and $100 for Discover may be posted to your account. This authorization may not be removed from your account for several days. To prevent a potential over-authorization, we suggest that you pay for your gas in the service station.
Gift cards are available to use only in the US. (including extensions such as military bases) and its territories: Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, United States Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Guam.
You may obtain your current balance or a list of all your transactions through www.myprepaidbalance.com or by calling customer service at the phone number provided on the back of your card. In order to receive your transaction history online, you must first register your card. Please note that the website will not display pending authorizations but only completed transactions.
You may register online at www.myprepaidbalance.com by creating a profile, adding your Visa Gift Card to your profile and then editing the registered user name. Registering your card will provide the additional security required to allow you to check your balance, view transaction history, use your card for phone and Internet purchases or request a replacement should your card become lost or stolen.
If your card has been lost or stolen, contact customer service by calling the phone number provided on the back of your card. We recommend that you keep the phone number in a safe place for future reference. You will be able to speak to a live agent and obtain a replacement card. There will be a $8.00 fee assessed to your card balance to replace your card. It may take up to 30 days to receive your replacement card.
If you notice transactions on your account that you have not made, contact customer service immediately by calling the phone number provided on the back of your card. They will follow normal dispute processes to investigate the fraudulent transactions.
A monthly inactivity fee of $4.95 will be assessed to your Visa Gift Card if unused for 12 months. The fee will be billed beginning the 13th month. Please reference your Terms and Conditions for the associated fees.
* This fee will be deducted from the card balance and will not be charged until after the 12th month of inactivity and will continue monthly until the balance is depleted if gift card remains inactive.