For banking by telephone, to find an ATM, or to speak to a Star One phone representative for assistance with this website, please call us at 866-543-5202 or 408-543-5202.
Star One Mobile App

Star One Mobile Banking
It's free and secure to use!

Get the Star One Mobile Banking app for your device.
It's free, intuitive, safe and secure to use!

Skip navigation

Minor Accounts

A minor account must be joint with a parent or legal guardian.


A minor account is no different than any other account at Star One, with the exception that the account must be joint with a parent or legal guardian. The minor has access to his or her accounts, but must display a valid ID when visiting a branch in order to transact.

The minor and joint owner control the account.

If the minor is 13 years of age or older, a checking account and Visa Debit card is permissible.

Uniform Transfers (Gifts) to Minors Accounts

A transfer or gift to minor account is an irrevocable trust for the benefit of a minor. The dividends earned are reported under the minor's social security number. The custodian, who opens the account, controls it and can make withdrawals, and is solely responsible for explaining withdrawals to the Internal Revenue Service, if audited. (All withdrawals must be for the benefit of the minor.)

If the minor is in the field of membership, i.e., lives, works, or attends school in Santa Clara County, Alameda County, Merced County, Monterey County, San Benito County, San Joaquin County, San Mateo County, Santa Cruz County, and Stanislaus County, California, the Transfers to Minors account may be established based on the minor's eligibility.

If the minor does not live, work or attend school in one of the eligible counties, an immediate family member who is currently a member may sponsor and establish the Transfers to Minors Account.

This sponsor could be the custodian or the successor custodian on the account but is not required to act in this capacity. A named successor custodian is not required to be a member of the Credit Union. The California Probate Code states that only one person may serve as custodian at a time. In addition, only one successor custodian may serve at a time.

The custodian controls the account until the minor is of adult age. In California, persons eighteen (18) years of age are considered adults.


When the minor reaches adult age, the account can be converted into a regular savings account. A new membership application must be completed and signed by the minor when converting the account. When this happens, the minor must present proof of their date of birth (e.g. driver's license, birth certificate or passport). The custodian's signature is required when the account is converted or closed when the minor reaches age 18.

Benefits of a State-issued ID card for minors

Some state Departments of Motor Vehicles (DMV or DOT) issue identification cards. In California, an ID can be issued to a minor and is valid for six years. Star One Credit Union recognizes these ID cards as a valid form of identification. To apply for a California ID card, you will need to do the following:

  • Visit a DMV office
  • Complete an application
  • Provide a thumb print
  • Have your picture taken
  • Provide the minor's social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office
  • Verify the minor birth date and legal presence
  • Pay an application fee

ID cards are available to most who do not have a driver's license.

There are important differences between Accounts for Minors and Uniform Transfers (Gift) to Minor Accounts. It is important that you understand them before you open an account.

Accounts for Minors Uniform Transfers (Gift) to Minor Accounts
Joint ownership Irrevocable trust
Must be joint with parent or legal guardian Requires a custodian
Valid ID for minor recommended* No ID required for Minor
Must be able to write own name (for withdrawals) Minor has no access to account
Checking accounts allowed Checking accounts allowed
If the minor is 13 years of age or older, a checking account and Visa Debit card is permissible Can only be opened for minors under the age of 18

*Valid Identification is required for all transactions at Branches including the Issuance of ATM or Visa Check Card and check orders bearing the minor's name.

  • Minors without valid identification must be accompanied by a parent/guardian who can authenticate their identity.
  • Merchants may/can decline transactions without proper identification.