For banking by telephone, to find an ATM, or to speak to a Star One phone representative for assistance with this website, please call us at 866-543-5202 or 408-543-5202.
Star One Mobile App

Star One Mobile Banking
It's free and secure to use!

Get the Star One Mobile Banking app for your device.
It's free, intuitive, safe and secure to use!

Skip navigation

Memberships and Accounts

Add accounts to your membership—or open or update a membership.

  • Return

  • To open a Checking, Certificate or Sub-Savings account inside an existing membership, login to Online Banking.

    To open an additional new membership, use our Online Membership Application.

  • Print, sign and mail this form for updates such as:

    • Adding or deleting joint owners or minor owners
    • Updating your membership beneficiaries
    • Updating the custodian or successor custodian on a Transfers to Minors Account
    • Converting your membership to a Trust
    • Changing your name (e.g. marriage, divorce, identity, etc.)
    • Converting Transfer to Minors Account to a regular/minor membership
      • Must have a signed written consent from the current custodian

An online application can be completed in as little as 4 minutes.

You will need:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Social security number
  • Valid U.S. driver's license or state issued I.D.
  • Birth date
  • Password (used to identify you when you call for assistance)
  • Employer information
  • The above information for any Joint Owners or Pay on Death beneficiaries
  • Existing members will need their membership number
  • If you are sponsored by an existing member, please provide the sponsor's name if you do not live, work or attend school in Santa Clara County, Alameda County, Merced County, Monterey County, San Benito County, San Joaquin County, San Mateo County, Santa Cruz County, and Stanislaus County, California

Yes. To access Online Banking and Mobile Banking for the first time, please visit our home page and enroll. If accessing from a mobile device, download our app and enroll on the device.

There are important differences between Accounts for Minors and Uniform Transfers (Gift) to Minor Accounts. It is important that you understand them before you open an account.

Accounts for Minors Uniform Transfers (Gift) to Minor Accounts
Joint ownership Irrevocable trust
Must be joint with parent or legal guardian Requires a custodian
Valid ID for minor recommended* No ID required for Minor
Must be able to write own name (for withdrawals) Minor has no access to account
Checking accounts allowed Checking accounts allowed
If the minor is 13 years of age or older, a checking account and Visa Debit card is permissible Can only be opened for minors under the age of 18

*Valid Identification is required for all transactions at Branches including the Issuance of ATM or Visa Check Card and check orders bearing the minor's name.

  • Minors without valid identification must be accompanied by a parent/guardian who can authenticate their identity.
  • Merchants may/can decline transactions without proper identification.

In California, when a person dies and owns real and personal property with a gross value over $166,250.00, the property is transferred to their heirs through a court-supervised proceeding called "probate." Probate can take months or even years to complete.

A trust is an estate-planning tool used primarily to avoid the delays and costs of the public probate process.

An individual will typically work with an attorney or professional estate planner outside Star One Credit Union, to create a trust agreement.

Upon creating the trust, the individual transfers title of their Credit Union assets to be held under the trust.

A minor account is no different than any other account at Star One, with the exception that the account must be joint with a parent or legal guardian. The minor has access to his or her accounts, but must display a valid ID when visiting a branch in order to transact.

The minor and joint owner control the account.

If the minor is 13 years of age or older, a checking account and Visa Debit card is permissible.

Benefits of a State-issued ID card for minors

Some state Departments of Motor Vehicles (DMV or DOT) issue identification cards. In California, an ID can be issued to a minor and is valid for six years. Star One Credit Union recognizes these ID cards as a valid form of identification. To apply for a California ID card, you will need to do the following:

  • Visit a DMV office
  • Complete an application
  • Provide a thumb print
  • Have your picture taken
  • Provide the minor's social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office
  • Verify the minor birth date and legal presence
  • Pay an application fee

ID cards are available to most who do not have a driver's license.

A transfer or gift to minor account is an irrevocable trust for the benefit of a minor. The dividends earned are reported under the minor's social security number. The custodian, who opens the account, controls it and can make withdrawals, and is solely responsible for explaining withdrawals to the Internal Revenue Service, if audited. (All withdrawals must be for the benefit of the minor.)

If the minor is in the field of membership, i.e., lives, works, or attends school in Santa Clara County, Alameda County, Merced County, Monterey County, San Benito County, San Joaquin County, San Mateo County, Santa Cruz County, and Stanislaus County, California, the Transfers to Minors account may be established based on the minor's eligibility.

If the minor does not live, work or attend school in one of the eligible counties, an immediate family member who is currently a member may sponsor and establish the Transfers to Minors Account.

This sponsor could be the custodian or the successor custodian on the account but is not required to act in this capacity. A named successor custodian is not required to be a member of the Credit Union. The California Probate Code states that only one person may serve as custodian at a time. In addition, only one successor custodian may serve at a time.

The custodian controls the account until the minor is of adult age. In California, persons eighteen (18) years of age are considered adults.


When the minor reaches adult age, the account can be converted into a regular savings account. A new membership application must be completed and signed by the minor when converting the account. When this happens, the minor must present proof of their date of birth (e.g. driver's license, birth certificate or passport). The custodian's signature is required when the account is converted or closed when the minor reaches age 18.

Promotions: Minors, under the age of 18, and Transfer to Minor Accounts are excluded from offers. Existing and previous Star One members do not qualify as new members. Bonus is credited within 60 days upon verification of completed requirements. Bonus is subject to IRS reporting.